Top Actionable Recommendations from the Business Sector
The Department of Finance (DOF), in partnership with the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) and the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) held a series of Sulong Pilipinas online consultative workshops with business leaders all over the country. Business representatives shared their insights and provided recommendations on key issues that they think the government should focus on to help businesses get back up on their feet and for the Philippine economy to recover from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below are the top 10 recommendations drawn from the consultations from the business community:
- Assistance to students and infrastructure for education, including flexible learning materials, access to gadgets, and enhanced internet connection.
- Digitalization of public services and the integration of the National ID system to improve the distribution of social assistance programs through cashless payouts and digital mechanisms.
- Comprehensive recovery roadmap for the tourism industry to directly guide the industry stakeholders as we open up the economy gradually.
- Ensure the availability of public transportation and invest in alternative modes of transportation, while adhering to the highest health and safety standards.
- Assistance and access to affordable or low-interest loans as part of the stimulus package for businesses.
- Improve farm to market access, including interventions to develop value chain, food hubs, logistics, digitalization, and provision of relevant technologies and facilities.
- Policy reforms to improve freight and logistics and develop industrial value chain links in the country, including linkages between agriculture and manufacturing.
- Intensified testing, efficient contact tracing with digital tools, augmentation of healthcare capacity through infrastructure and fair compensation to all healthcare workers, and the implementation of consistent quarantine protocols to effectively manage the pandemic.
- Ensure reliable and high-speed internet through investments on ICT infrastructure and relevant policies to boost the country’s competitiveness and enhance connectivity.
- Fast-track the enactment of the Corporate Recovery and Tax Incentives for Enterprises (CREATE) Act and provide an online mechanism of business registration processes allowing interconnected processes among agencies to encourage more investments in the country.
These recommendations have been presented to the Cabinet Assistance System (CAS) last October 9, 2020, for appropriate response and updates from the concerned agencies. Stay tuned for more updates on your recommendations.
We'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment below and share your other recommendations on our forums.